Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Hippopotomonstrosequippedaliophobia - huh?

Hippopotomonstrosequippedaliophobia, Will Pavia of the Times (Weekend Australian Jan12-13 2008) writes that it is the fear of long words. Obviously the creator of the word had no such fear.

Nucleomituphobia is the fear of nuclear weapons. I think we all fear that, except maybe for a few world leaders we wont name here! Odontophobia is the fear of dentists and rhytiphobia the fear of wrinkles! Coulrophobia is the fear of clowns.Pentheraphobia is the fear of mothers-in-law. I have suffered that particular fear myself, ever since the day we went to visit my soon to be inlaws to show then THE RING, and my finance/husband's mother dragged him into a corner of the room to ask him if he had been in contact with his former girlfriend recently. It has been passive hostility ever since, because we are too genteel to have the punch up, drag it out she deserves. I will however be crass enough to dance on her grave.



Paraskavedekatriaphobia is the fear of Friday the 13th. I have never quite understood the Friday 13th fixation, but that might be because my father was the 13th child in a family of 18 children. He considered that his actual survival in that tribe meant 13 must be lucky and that view must have rubbed off on me also!



What would the fear of wrinkled, mother-in-law clowns, viewed on Friday the 13th, going into a nuclear plant be deemed? Taking it too far?

No comments:

Post a Comment