Friday, January 29, 2010

clutter and crud

I have an issue with clutter. The main sections of the house, the down stairs areas are fine - tidy, cleanish and presentable.

The second floor, the private areas are less so. Disclaimer : it is not all mine. The two men in the house have a lot of computer gear and thousands of cords that seem to go along with that. Two daughters have moved out and left some. lots of their belongings. However, I can't blame anyone but husband and I for our bedroom.

I have lots of books and magazines - in two bookcases, beside my bed, on the floor. I also don't like to sort clean laundry so I often have a basket  or two of laundry in there to sort. Did I say it was a very large bedroom? Husband's share is that he travels a lot and neglects to unpack or put away suitcases when her returns. He just throws out the dirty clothes for launder and puts the suitcase on the bedroom floor for next time. At the moment there are two suitcases on the floor.

But wait there's more - I have a writing desk that looks out over the bushland near our house. Lovely spot to sit, but I can't. There are currently clothes over the chair and the desk is covered in my scrapbooking - which I have not touched for over a year!

How do we allow this to happen? I can cite a busy life, illness, lack of energy, abundance. However, despite all that, I know in my heart of hearts that my life would actually be better if I just got rid of come of the clutter - the crud of life.

Yesterday I left the air conditioner on in our bedroom all day as I intended to start work on our bedroom. I didn't. Today I am more motivated and so have left the airconditioner on again - it really is too hot to work in there without it during the day in the Australian summer heat. It is now 1.30 pm and I am yet to go up there and start on it and I am feeling bad about the waste of energy use with the air conditioners.

So as a last resort I am writing about it. If I write about it, I will commit to it and I will guilt myself into starting. Right?

Stay tuned. I may have to fall on my sword yet!

2 comments:

  1. There's an amazing book that has just the answer for you. Are you on goodreads? I just put it up on my list, so the rest of the world can benefit from it. Anyway, it's called "It's Here Somewhere" by Alice Fulton, and it has saved me every year. I go back to it again and again, because the system is so simple and doable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you - I will follow up. It does sound llike exactly what I need!

    ReplyDelete